We can provide support to identify hospice eligibility as well as helpful clinical guidelines
State and Federal regulations require that the following two criteria be met for a patient to be eligible for hospice care:
- Two physicians must certify the patient’s life expectancy is 6 months or less, if the illness runs its normal course.
- Patient has chosen care that focuses on symptom management rather than curative treatment.
Individuals eligible for Hospice of Alabama’s services may experience some or all of the following:
- Frequent hospitalizations
- Progressive weight loss
- Deteriorating mental abilities
- Recurrent infections
- Decreased ability to perform Activities of Daily Living (ADLs)
- Hospice of Alabama patients do not have to be homebound
Clinical Reference Scales
The following reference scales are used by healthcare professionals in various settings. These scales are incorporated in the Diagnosis Guidelines and are often documented by our clinical staff in the care of our patients.
New York Heart Association (NYHA) Functional Classification
Palliative Performance Scale (PPS)
Functional Assessment Staging Tool (FAST)
Body Mass Index (BMI) Reference ChartRefer a Patient